Thursday, March 26, 2009

Once was Lost, But Now am Found


I honestly can't remember the first movie that I ever laid my eyes on.

Movies have been central in my life.

Sunday afternoons, 4pm, to be exact were when my brother, my mom, and my dad, and of course myself would go witness some one else's life be explained or even exploited on screen.

The days of having to pack our snacks (Hersey bars and apple juice) into my mom's purse. Making sure that it wasn't obvious that we were sneaking food in, bc the concession stand was way to expensive.

The days of being way to short that I had to sit on the theater chair folded up so, I too, could see who was saying what and whom they were saying it to.

It was good etiquette to never speak while the trailers were on. Because, it was sort of a minnie movie that you saw for a minute and twenty two seconds. And the excitement you felt when you couldn't wait to see it next summer.

Those were the days.

I grew up and my taste in films changed. I went from ducking in to see cult classics like Clueless, to watching Citizen Cane in all it's glory.

I evolved into a no holds bar type of gal.

I love movies, and the film "The Fall", reminds me why I've had such a long love affair with them in the first place.

Imagine seeing the best piece of artwork. Then imagine the emotion you feel, for being so honored to have witnessed it.

Then lastly, imagine those who've never seen it before.

That was me last night, in my bed, crying at how magically sound this movie had been.

The Fall, directed by Tarsem Singh, left me speechless. I was a complete mute while the story unfolded. No commentary, no gasps, no nothing. I couldn't speak.

The movie tells a story of a stuntman who performs a stunt that goes terribly wrong, and leaves him bedridden in a hospital. A young percious little girl, while in the hospital for her own dangerous "stunt" befriends the stuntman and he begins to tell her a glorious fictious saga. The story comes at a price, though. All that he askes in return while he methodically jogs up the next chapter, is that she get him some
"M-O-R-P-H-I-N-3". A very Quid Pro Quo relationship these two have. And as time progresses and the story lengthens, fiction runs into fact and fact overlaps the fiction of the stuntman's story.

The Fall plays well with a child's imagination somewhat being ruined by the adult's personal agony and anguish.

The appeal comes from not only the visual encounters you meet along the way, but the comradery that the child and adult gain together on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment