Monday, February 2, 2009

?????


You know you got it bad when you start lying to yourself and claim that you're doing research by watching movies....Lol!!!!!

Naw, but for real, I was doing research. I'm attempting to make sense of why I pick the movies I pick. Of course, one would say that it's just what you're interested in.

I think differently.

I believe it to be something deeper than that. I probably came up with that notion, due to BGSP.

I mean, WTF are my motives when I watch these movies. I've seen some crazy $hit on screen. But these films are usually the ones that I end up loving.

The self-deprecating characters who's lives have been torn to shambles. And can't seem to cut a break, no matter what they do.

Simply, I hate happy endings. There's something slightly unrealistic about it.

But to my point, if I only enjoy the misery, what does that say about me as an individual? Some might say it's pretty sadistic. Perhaps, there's even more depth underneath.

Have you ever found yourself going through the collection of movies you have and just asking, why do I like it? What the hell appeals to me about these themes? It's not as simple as you think, huh?

There two movies that stick out like sore thumbs. One of which I've previously mentioned in my post See Spot Run. 'Hardy Candy' tells a cautionary tale remixed where the would be "victim" is none other than the antagonist of the film. The same could be said for 'Descent'.

'Descent' starring Rosario Dawson, is just one of those movies that A) asks the viewer to watch very closely. And B) asks the question, what would you have done?

I wouldn't want to give the movie away. It's a film that has to be just swallowed whole, from beginning to end, and no retelling or plot summary would do it justice. Just see it for yourself.

But be warned, it will make you think in the most uncomfortable way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment